Objectives and partners
The objectives of the forum are to:
- encourage pride in licensed venues and Wellington city, within the hospitality industry
- emphasise responsible venue management and licensing practices
- raise awareness of responsible service and drinking of alcohol
- develop new initiatives
- build communication and cooperation between licensees, government agencies and the community.
Wellington City Council is a forum partner along with:
- Hospitality New Zealand
- New Zealand Police
- Restaurant Association of New Zealand (RANZ)
- New Zealand Hotel Council
- Regional Public Health
- Alcohol Advisory Council of New Zealand (ALAC)
- Positively Wellington Tourism
- ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation).
Structure and steering committee
A steering committee supports and promotes the forum and Capital Host Charter, oversees new initiatives and monitors the forum meetings.
The steering committee includes some of the forum's partners as well as representatives from the District Licensing Agency and licensed venue owners / operators.
Forum meetings are held at least three times a year. They are hosted by forum members and rotated between venues.
The agenda is set by the steering committee with input from members. At the meetings, licensees can discuss achievements, strategies and emerging concerns.
Capital Host Charter
The forum has put together the Wellington Capital Host Charter. The charter has some licensee obligations on top of the legal responsibilities under the Sale of Liquor Act 1989.
The charter is based around seven principles:
- Being proud ambassadors for Wellington
- Respecting guests
- Being a good neighbour
- Supporting staff training
- Promoting the venue and alcohol in a responsible way
- Preventing antisocial behaviour and intoxication among guests
- Sharing information with regulatory agencies and transport providers
Sample Charter (157KB PDF)
Members of the forum sign the Capital Host Charter. The following checklist helps with evaluating premises:
Capital Host Charter Checklist (32KB PDF)