Find a good spot to camp in Wellington
Campervans (self-contained only)
Overnight parking in Wellington
If you arrive after 1600hrs in our peak season, Nov to April, you will probably find our campgrounds are already full. So please make arrangements to stay at Barnett St or at a facility in the Wellington region. See Campermate app for availability at these sites.
Barnett Street Car Park on the Wellington Waterfront is not available to freedom campers. Barnett Street Car Park is being used to provide essential heath services. This is part of the Ministry of Health's Covid-19 response to look after our community. This is a temporary arrangement.
Full-service campervan parks in Wellington
If you require a serviced motorhome carpark in Wellington, visit:
Freedom camping in Wellington for campervans (self-contained only)
Restricted camping on public land is allowed in Wellington City for self-contained campervans at the following two sites:
- Southern end of the Marina car park at Evans Bay (271KB PDF)
- Te Kopahou Reserve entrance car park at Te Kopahou Reserve (274KB PDF)
Fishing, gathering and harvesting is prohibited at Te Kopahou Reserve.
Watch for extreme weather. This area often has high winds so make sure you secure your rubbish and belongings so they don't get blown around.
Freedom camping restrictions
- You can camp at either of these sites for a maximum of four nights in any single calendar month. If you stay longer, you can be fined.
- Make sure you only park within the areas designated for self-contained campervans.
- These sites are not suitable for tents.
- Be respectful of the environment, other visitors to the area and reserve users.
Public dump stations
Wellington's three purpose-built stations for responsible disposal of waste and sewage are located at Evans Bay Marina, Ngaraunga Gorge and Tawa Swimming Pool.
Find a public dump station