If you are experiencing financial stress, you can apply to postpone payment of instalment one, due on 1 September 2020, for six months without incurring penalties. Interest will be added to postponed commercial rates.
If you are worried about being unable to pay this invoice, please get in touch with us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 04 499 4444.
Who can apply for the rates payment deferral?
All ratepayers who require financial assistance and support at this time can apply, except for central government agencies, crown entities, state owned enterprises and utility companies.
How you can show that you are experiencing financial hardship due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
For residential ratepayers, if you have one or more of the following:
- applied for the mortgage repayment holiday scheme
- lost your job
- reduced income due to Covid-19
For commercial, industrial and business ratepayers, if you or your tenant has qualified for one or more of the following:
- Government Covid-19 wage subsidy
- Government Covid-19 Business Finance Guarantee Scheme
- a mortgage ‘holiday’ from the bank
- qualification for other Government funded Covid-19 schemes or initiatives.
You must be able to show that the benefits of relief are being passed through to tenants.
Properties owned or occupied by a central government agency, crown entity, state owned enterprise or utility company are excluded.
Refer to rates deferral information
How to apply for the rates payment deferral
You will need to email us at email@example.com or write to us at:
PO Box 2199
Please include the following information:
- your full name or name of your business
- full address of the property for which you are applying
- your contact phone number and email address
- confirmation from your employer or bank that shows you are experiencing financial hardship as listed above.
Payment options can be found at: wellington.govt.nz/services/rates-and-property/rates