- If your rubbish and recycling is usually collected on Fridays, please note there will be no collections on Good Friday (2 April). Put your rubbish and recycling out on Saturday 3 April instead. Collections will happen as per normal on Easter Monday (5 April) and Anzac Day (25 April) and Monday 26 April – the day it is observed. If your rubbish is collected by a private operator, contact them directly for information on public holiday collections.
- Parking is free around Wellington on public holidays: Good Friday (2 April), Easter Monday (5 April), and Anzac Day (25 April) and Monday 26 April – the day it is observed.
- Waitohi Hub, including Common Ground Café, Johnsonville Library and Keith Spry Pool will be closed for maintenance over Easter weekend so we can reseal the floor tiles. The site will close from 7pm, Thursday 1 April and reopen at 7.30am, Tuesday 6 April. This includes the library’s after-hours returns slot.
- The 13 other libraries are closed on all public holidays. See library holiday hours for more information.
- Southern Landfill will be closed Good Friday (2 April). Usual hours apply for Easter Monday and Anzac Day. Public holidays are a busy time at the Southern Landfill, so be prepared for possible delays.
- The Tip Shop will be closed Good Friday (2 April), and open on Easter Sunday for drop-off only. On Anzac Day, the Tip Shop will only be open for drop-off in the morning, and then for normal trading from 1pm.
- Cable Car will be operating usual public holiday hours, with winter hours becoming operational on Monday 5 April.
- Visit the holiday hours section of our website for all information about our services and facilities during the holiday period: http://wellington.govt.nz/holiday-hours
The Cable Car will be hosting two events over Easter, with a giant Easter Egg Hunt happening over the long weekend, and a special Easter Party on Saturday 3 April.
On Anzac Day (Sunday 25 April), there is a programme of public events and commemorations starting with a dawn service at Pukeahu National War Memorial Park, the Wellington Citizens’ wreath-laying service at the Cenotaph at 9am, and other events at Pukeahu and around the city throughout the day.
For more information on Anzac Day events and road and parking details, visit the Ministry of Culture & Heritage Anzac Day event section, DIA, and Council’s Street Event Road Closures section.
Visit Metlink for details about the public holiday timetables for bus and train services.
For more information on Wellington City Council’s facility hours, services and events, you can get in touch with our Contact Centre 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year on 04 499 4444 or email@example.com. Or keep an eye on our Facebook page @wellingtoncitycouncil.