Description of proposal
Wellington City Council intends to designate an area within Prince of Wales Park to provide for a public work, being the construction, operation and maintenance of a 35,000m³ water reservoir within the Town Belt.
The reservoir is required to service Wellington’s low-level water supply zone which provides potable water to about 70,000 residents and a range of significant commercial, industrial and critical community facilities.
Wellington Water Limited will carry out the construction, operation and maintenance of the Omāroro Reservoir on behalf of the City Council.
The public work is the construction, operation and maintenance of the Prince of Wales/Omāroro Reservoir including all activities associated with the construction, operation and maintenance of:
- the reservoir structure and pipe tunnel
- access to the reservoir and pipe tunnel
- associated connections to the bulk water supply, local water supply, and local stormwater networks
- all construction activities associated with the proposed raising and reinstatement of the upper and lower Prince of Wales Park playing fields.
The proposed reservoir structure will have (about):
- a capacity of 35,000m³
- a footprint of 3800m² (reservoir)/4000m² (reservoir and pipe tunnel)
- an internal diameter of 67m
- a wall height of 12.1m and a total height of 15.5m.
The construction period is expected to be two to three years.
The reservoir is designed to be buried, with the exception of two small access hatches on the roof of the reservoir and a 2.5m x 2.5m doorway and a 10m-wide service access to the reservoir’s buried service and pipe tunnel.
Public notice (82KB PDF)
Notice of requirement for designation (3.2MB PDF)
If you have any objections or would like to make a submission, send them:
- by email to: email@example.com
- by letter to:
Resource Consents Team
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
- in person to:
Wellington City Council
Ground floor reception
101 Wakefield Street
- online using the form below
The submission form is also available in a printable version which you can post:
Printable Submission Form
All submissions must be received by 4.30pm on Friday 27 October 2017.
All submissions must contain:
- your name, postal address and telephone number
- details of the proposal you are submitting on
- whether you support or oppose the proposal
- what aspects of the proposal you are neutral towards (if any)
- your submission statement, with reasons
- the decision you would like Wellington City Council to make
- whether you would like to make an oral submission to the independent commissioner, to support your written submission.
If a hearing is required it will be heard by independent commissioners.