District Plan Change 83 proposes to rezone the area of land to the south of Kiwi Point Quarry in Ngauranga Gorge to allow the south face of the quarry to be developed under the new zoning and enable the quarry activity to be expanded.
The proposal includes making associated text changes to the Wellington City Council District Plan maps and text.
The process for undertaking a Plan Change is determined by the Resource Management Act 1991. The Plan Change process provides an opportunity for the public to submit in support of, or opposition to, the proposal.
The proposal seeks to:
- rezone an area on the southern side of the quarry site from Open Space B to Business 2
- introduce a new objective that recognises the importance of quarrying aggregates at Kiwi Point Quarry to provide for the future growth and development of the city
- introduce a new controlled activity rule that applies to the rezoned southern face expansion area. The Council’s control is maintained over buffer areas from residential sites, cut face rehabilitation, ecological mitigation, and screening
- introduce a range of standards relating to the quarrying of the expanded site, and make changes to a range of explanatory text and a number of consequential changes including changes to Planning Maps 22 and 23.
Section 32 Report Consideration of alternatives, benefits and costs
- Report (without appendices) (1.4MB PDF)
- Appendix A - Alternatives Workshop Report and Appendices (1.3MB PDF)
- Appendix B - Wellington City Council City Strategy Committee Meeting Minutes 14 September 2017 (217KB PDF)
- Appendix C - Economic Spreadsheets (305KB PDF)
- Appendix D – Other relevant reports (34.9MB PDF)
- Regional Demand Forecasts for Aggregates in Wellington, Spire Consulting, July 2016 (464KB PDF)
- Kiwipoint Quarry Indicative Value Impact Report, CBRE, June 2016 (748B PDF)
- Review of Geotechnical Information, Opus Consultants Ltd, July 2016 (240KB PDF)
- Memorandum – Kiwi Point Quarry Response for Wellington City Council, Ormiston Associates Ltd, 28 July 2016 (177KB PDF)
- Report on the Development Potential of Kiwi Point Quarry, Ormiston Associates Ltd, July 2015 (2.4MB PDF)
- Slope Stability Review, ENGEO Ltd, February 2015 (4.3MB PDF)
- Addendum Slope Stability Report for the North Wall and Area H, Kiwi Point Quarry, ENGEO Ltd, April 2015 (730KB PDF)
- Kiwi Point Quarry Management Plan, Wellington City Council (3.9MB PDF)
- Air Quality Assessment, MWH, July 2016 (3MB PDF)
- Assessment of Ecological Effects for Proposed Expansion of Kiwi Point Quarry, Wildlands Consultants, July 2017 (1.8MB PDF)
- Assessment of Lizards for a Proposed Expansion of Kiwi Point Quarry, Wildlands Consultants, December 2017 (1.5MB PDF)
- Kiwi Point Quarry Expansion Photomontages, Isthmus, July 2017 (7.4MB PDF)
The above Plan Change documents can also be viewed during normal business hours at:
To receive a copy of any of the Plan Change documents by post, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The submission form is also available in a printable version which you can post:
Printable Submission Form
Submissions can be:
- emailed to: email@example.com
- posted to:
District Plan Team (121)
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
- delivered to:
Ground Floor Reception
Civic Square/101 Wakefield Street
Submissions must be received by 5pm on Monday 14 May 2018.
All submissions must contain:
- your name, postal address, telephone number and email address (if applicable)
- details of the Proposed District Plan Change you are submitting on (ie DPC 83)
- whether you support or oppose the application
- your submission statement, with reasons
- the decision you would like Wellington City Council to make
- whether you would like to make an oral submission to support your written submission
- whether you would consider presenting a joint case with others making a similar submission
- proper signature of submitter and date.
Presenting your submission in person
If you'd like to present your submission in person, indicate this on your submission form and we'll contact you to arrange a time. Oral submissions will be held in xxxx 2018.
Privacy statement - what we do with your personal information
All information included in submissions (including name and contact details) are provided in their entirety to elected members.
Your personal information will be used for administration purposes only, including informing you about this proposed Plan Change.
Your name and address for service will be made available to the public, per the requirements of the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA). For details about these requirements, see clause 6, clause 6A, clause 7, clause 8 and clause 8a of the RMA.
All information collected will be held by Wellington City Council, with submitters having the right to access and correct personal information.
For more information about privacy at Wellington City Council, see our privacy statement.
- End of May / early June 2018: Once submissions have been received, the Council will prepare a summary of the decisions requested, which will be publicly notified.
- June 2018: There will be an opportunity to make a further submission supporting or opposing the submissions already made (for people who meet the criteria under Clause 8 of the First Schedule, Resource Management Act 1991).
- August 2018: Oral submissions will be held, if anyone has requested to present their submission in person.
- September 2018: The Council will give its decision on the proposed Plan Change, including its reasons for accepting or rejecting submissions.
- After the Council decision: Anyone who has made a submission on the proposed Plan Change can appeal the decision to the Environment Court.
The dates listed above are approximate and may change.
Mitch Lewandowski, Principal Advisor Planning
Phone: 021 227 8113