Before we get started, we’d like your feedback about what you’d like to see here.
Your ideas and suggestions will help us to prepare a draft concept design, which will go out for consultation later in the year.
Have your say by completing our feedback survey below by 5pm Monday 20 July 2020.
The play area proposal
The upgrade at Shorland Park will focus on the existing play area:
- Location of the play areas
- Liberty swing
- Replacing existing play equipment with new equipment (including the pirate ship, which doesn’t meet current safety standards)
- The basketball hoop
Shorland Park engagement map (1MB PDF)
We will be working closely with our Accessibility Advisory Group to ensure any upgrades meet the needs of people with impairments or accessibility issues. This will include a review of the existing Liberty swing.
Public toilets and shower
We are upgrading the interior of the public toilets on Reef Street, increasing the number of cubicles from three to four. This is expected to be completed by the end of August 2020.
We are also considering other works to be carried out at a later date, including:
- Upgrading the exterior façade of the public toilets
- Installation of an outdoor shower
Have your say
We’d like to hear from you about:
- Whether you’d prefer the play areas to stay in their existing separate locations, or be brought together
- If you’d like to see any changes/improvements to the Liberty swing, and your ideas on how we can make the play area more inclusive for people of all ages and abilities
- What new play equipment you’d like to see at Shorland Park (for example swings, climbing walls and towers, rope play, slides and spinners) and what you’d like to see in place of the existing pirate ship
- If the basketball hoop is being used and whether any upgrades are required
- What improvements, if any, you’d like to see to the exterior façade of the toilet block
- Whether you’d like to see an outdoor shower, and if so, the preferred location
- Anything else that’s important to you
The submission form is also available in a printable version which you can post:
Printable Feedback Form
You can also send us your comments:
by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
by letter to: Shorland Park play area upgrade, c/o Parks Sports and Recreation, Wellington City Council, 113 the Terrace. Wellington 6011.
Phase one: Initial consultation
Monday 22 June 2020 – Feedback opens
5pm, Monday 20 July 2020 - Feedback closes
Phase two: Second consultation
Monday 31 August 2020 - Initial concept design presented to the public for feedback
5pm, Friday 18 September 2020 - Feedback on initial concept design closes
Phase three: Final concept design
Friday 9 October 2020 - Final concept design presented to the public
Phase Four: Construction
Late February/early March 2021 - Construction begins
Parks, Sports and Recreation