Wellington Urban Growth Plan
||16 September 2014
||17 October 2014
|Number of submissions
We worked through your submissions and made changes to reflect your feedback. We have also developed an Implementation Plan that will put our Urban Growth Plan into action. This Implementation Plan focuses on priority projects for the next 10 years.
The Urban Growth Plan is our strategy to manage our population growth sustainably by ensuring that new houses, transport networks, infrastructure and services are provided where needed.
The guiding principles behind the Plan are that we want to:
- keep our city compact, walkable and supported by an efficient transport network
- maintain the features that support our high quality of life
- protect the city’s natural setting and reduce the environmental impacts of development and transport
- make the city more resilient to natural hazards, such as earthquakes, and the effects of climate change.
- help prepare the city for the risks posed by natural hazards and climate change.
Our strategy is to direct urban growth where it will benefit the city most:
- Along the ‘growth spine’, between Johnsonville and the airport.
- Around the Central City.
- Around selected suburban centres which can support intensification.
- In ‘greenfield’ areas, north of the city, at Lincolnshire Farm and Stebbings Valley.
District Plan Team