WW100 - Wellington's First World War Centenary
From 2014-2019 we’re commemorating the centenary of the First World War, remembering significant events and the contributions made by Wellingtonians during this time.
Find out what's happening in Wellington as part of our First World War commemorations, from 2014-2019.
- The Great War Exhibition – Located in the historic Dominion Museum Building, within the beautiful Pukeahu National War Memorial Park, The Great War Exhibition is a national legacy project. There are also temporary exhibitions, holiday programmes, and tours.
- Anzac Day 2018 – Anzac Day was first observed in New Zealand on 25 April, 1916 and now represents the 30,000+ New Zealanders who have died at war in this country’s service since 1899
- The Last Post Ceremony – Pukeahu National War Memorial Park, Buckle St, Mt Cook, Wellington. 5pm every day until 11 November 2018
We're telling our local First World War stories.
- Interested in researching your own family's involvement in the First World War? Here are some resources to get you started.
- Our Heritage Story Map gives you the opportunity to see our city's First World War heritage places with fresh eyes.
- The Memorial Street Signs Story Map gives the history and legacy behind the namesake of streets in Wellington associated with the First World War.
- Our free First World War booklet features a heritage trail looks at Wellington's participation in the war, and includes a map illustrating the 2015 Anzac Day parade and procession routes.
We're supporting community projects that commemorate our contribution during the First World War, and your project could be eligible for funding.
These projects will be a key part of New Zealand's commemoration of the centenary for the First World War.
- WW100 Events: Good-bye New Zealand. Our Boys Leaving on the troop ship Star of India, October 1914. Photographer Palmer, Mahood, Maybury produced by Wiliam Needs.
- Our Stories: Crowd at a farewell procession for First World War troops, Manners Street, Wellington - 1915.
- Our Heritage: Returned soldiers preparing for Public Service examination - circa 1920.
- Community Funding: Anzac Day parade at the Basin Reserve, Wellington. Buildings and houses in Mount Victoria can be seen in the background - circa 1920s. Photographer: Sydney Charles Smith (1888-1972).