Artist impression of Indoor Community Sports Centre
A range of infrastructure projects were completed so that Wellington could manage the influx of visitors for Rugby World Cup 2011 (RWC 2011). Projects were organised to make sure work did not physically impact the city during the tournament.
Council projects completed for RWC 2011 include:
- construction of the new 12-court ASB Sports Centre
- construction of Te Whaea artificial training surface
- upgraded links between Wellington's central business district and Wellington Regional Stadium
- upgrade of Midland Park
- phase 2 and 3 of the Aotea and Waterloo Quay upgrade that included the pedestrian link for cruise ships.
Projects completed for RWC 2011 by other Wellington stakeholders included:
- developing / extending Wellington International Airport terminal
- introduction of 61 trolley buses
- electrification and track improvements to the Wellington regional rail network including 70 new rail units
- upgrade of the Carter Observatory
- a new visitor centre for Zealandia (Karori Wildlife Sanctuary)
- Wellington waterfront improvements, including a campervan park at Site 11 and public toilet upgrades
- Wellington Zoo upgrades.