Sky Show Fireworks
Wellington's Sky Show illuminates the sky over Wellington harbour in a beautiful fireworks display as part of Matariki ki Pōneke 2018.
Sky Show 2018
Saturday 14 July 2018, 6.30–6.40pm
Postponement date: Sunday 15 July, 6.30pm. Call will be made by Saturday 14 July, 4pm.
For event updates check Facebook or Eventfinda.
Tune into The Breeze (94.1FM and 98.5FM) or More FM (99.7FM and 95.3FM) to listen to the soundtrack as you watch the show.
To get the best synchronisation of sound and fireworks, listen on a terrestrial radio tuner to avoid streaming delays.
The Sky Show 2018 soundtrack includes music from local artists Toni Huata, Rob Thorne, David Downes and WAI.
If you aren’t in Wellington or can't attend, watch the livestream of the Sky Show at newshub.co.nz or download the free Newshub phone app from the App Store.
The following food trucks (subject to change) will be trading on the waterfront from 3pm to 7.30pm on Saturday. Come down early for dinner!
- The Greek Food Truck
- Tom's Chimney Cake and Langosh
- Roti Bay
- The Hungry Monkey Wellington
- Baxters Catering
- Fritz's Wieners Wellington
- The Dukes of Sandwich
- The Hot Wafel
- Garuda Food Truck
- Donut Express/Churro Express/Espresso Effect
- Zaaffran a taste of Morocco
- Tobilo's Pizza Bus
- Da Munch Box
- Neet Sweets
- Moa & Co
Other fun activities on the waterfront
- Mai FM - UV paint party - Glow-in-the-dark face and t-shirt painting for kids – 5.30-7.30pm, Taranaki Wharf
- More FM - Cadbury chocolate giveaways – 5.30pm until stock runs out, Frank Kitts Park Promenade
- Chocolate Festival pop up – from 3pm till 7pm
Ice skating rink – from 10am to 10pm
For information about buses, trains and the harbour ferry, visit metlink.org.nz or call 0800 801 700.
The waterfront from Frank Kitts Park to Te Papa Promenade – where all the Sky Show food trucks and activities are – is a great viewing spot.
In addition, anywhere you can safely see the water of the main city harbour will be a good viewing spot.
- If you aren’t a local resident, do not head for Mount Victoria Lookout or Oriental Bay at the last minute as this can cause congestion and traffic delays.
- The Oriental Bay Band Rotunda viewing platform will not be available for use between 5pm– 9pm on the day of the event.
- Do not stop on the motorway to watch the show – that is not safe for you and others.
Map of roads with restricted access – Sky Show 2018
These measures are to minimise congestion and to enable unimpeded thoroughfare for emergency services and residents.
EM Services Ltd has been contracted to manage traffic. If you have any questions or queries call 0800 328 654.
- Lookout Road
- Alexandra Road
- Thane Road
- Robieson Street
- Robieson Lane
- Palliser Road
- Roseneath Terrace
- Moeller Street
- Hawker Street
- Roxburgh Street
- Majoribanks Street
- Oriental Parade
- Evans Bay Parade
- State Highway 1 Wellington Road
- State Highway 1 Cobham Drive.
Description of traffic control (from 1pm to 8.30pm approximately)
- One way system – Lookout Road is one way only, travelling from Thane Road to Alexandra Road. Access to Lookout Road via Alexandra Road is closed.
- Resident access only roads – Thane Road, Robieson Street and Lane, Roseneath Terrace, Palliser Road, Moeller Stret and Hawker Street to the intersection of Roxburgh Street, and also Evans Bay Parade from the Intersection with State Highway 1 Wellington Road.
All other main roads leading to Thane Road will have traffic marshals placed to assist in managing traffic flow.
Parking restrictions (from 1pm to 8.30pm approximately)
Sections of Lookout Road, Hawker Street, Roxburgh Street, Grafton Road, Carlton Gore Road, and Oriental Parade will have parking restrictions.
Route 14 bus
The route 14 bus will be diverted due to expected congestion on the normal route. Please see public transport information above.