Complete the Leaving Your Council Home form and return to City Housing if you are leaving.
Leaving your Council home (88KB PDF)
Copies of the form are available from the City Housing desk in the Council's Service Centre:
Alternatively, send a written letter of notice to City Housing, with the following details:
- your address
- date when you intend to move
- your name and signature.
Return your completed form and any required documents to the City Housing desk or post to:
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
There are several things you must do to meet your tenancy obligations and get your bond back.
- Give 21 days notice.
- Settle your accounts: Pay any outstanding rent or fees for property damage. If you've been paying rent by automatic payment, be sure to notify your bank or Work and Income to stop the transfer.
- Remove your belongings: Remove all your personal effects, property and rubbish from the premises, including storage areas and garden. Remember to remove padlocks from letterboxes and storage areas. Anything left behind may be disposed of or stored - and can be sold to pay for removal and storage fees. All items listed on your tenancy agreement must remain in the flat.
- Clean: Give the house a thorough clean. Bathroom, toilet, kitchen, walls, floors and appliances should be ready for the next tenants.
- Return keys: Return all your keys including storage, laundry and shed keys to the Council. If you don't return them, we can charge you for the cost of changing the locks.
- Redirect services: Arrange to have your phone and power disconnected, and settle your accounts. Complete a change of address form at your local PostShop
- Tidy the garden: If your home has a garden, mow the lawns, weed, trim hedges, and remove the compost and any rubbish.
Council inspections and your bond
If you fail to leave your home in good condition, the Council can charge you for the cost of any cleaning, removal or repairs that need to be made.
Once you have given notice, the Council has the right to inspect your home at any time during the 21 day notice-to-vacate period. You will have at least 48 hours notice of our visit unless urgent maintenance is required.
You will receive your bond in full if there is no outstanding rent, or any additional charges for cleaning, repairs, removal or keys. This may take up to 4 weeks.
Rent Prices and Bonds