We provide affordable homes to low-income households, and to those who face barriers to other types of housing. We house those most in need and help them become independent where possible. Read about who can get Council Housing and our priority groups.
Our rents are set at 70% of the market rent and reviewed annually.
Range of properties
We own over 1900 units at over 60 locations across Wellington city with a market valuation of $353 million (2012). These units are a mix of:
- large apartment complexes
- smaller blocks of flats
- standalone houses.
We also manage 26 units for Porirua City Council.
Our team of tenancy advisors handle day-to-day tenancy matters and can be reached through the Council Contact Centre 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you are applying for housing, moving out or want to transfer to another property, ask for the Tenancy Services team when you contact us.
We care about the ongoing welfare of our residents and link tenants with support services where needed.
Housing upgrade programme
Our 20-year housing upgrade programme is improving the quality of our social housing and building communities with:
- warm, dry and modern housing that has insulation and double glazing, and improved ventilation and heating
- better social and recreation facilities where tenants can get to know each other or pursue hobbies.
Tenants of upgraded properties tell us they are healthier, feel safer and are proud to call their property home.
This $400m, 20-year programme is the most intensive social housing rejuvenation project of its kind in New Zealand’s history. In partnership with the Crown, we are effectively managing the construction projects while supporting our tenants and mitigating the impact of the changes.
Housing people in the future
Our long-term focus is to continue to provide subsidised housing for those most in need. Like any housing provider, we need to manage our portfolio prudently, ensure we have the right housing in the right place, and keep our assets in good condition. We will work alongside the wider housing and social support sectors to ensure suitable, affordable housing is available for Wellingtonians.
- We have between 3000-4000 residents at any time.
- Around 15 percent of our residents are children and around 10 percent are aged 65 or older.
- We own and manage over 2000 houses and units – currently made up of 40 medium-high density sites around the city as well as a number of smaller sites and standalone houses.