Why we are doing this work
The redevelopment of Keith Spry pool is driven by continued growth in the Northern suburbs, which has put pressure on community facilities.
The existing pool is not suitable as:
- the water temperature is too cool for the Learn to Swim Programme
- it has limited space for toddlers and young children.
The redevelopment project includes:
- a new programmes pool for Learn to Swim and other aquatic programmes
- a new children’s play pool
- new changing rooms
- a new roof
- maintenance work to the existing building.
The new programmes and play pool will be built where the wet lounge is and onto the edge of Memorial Park.
The new changing rooms will be built over the existing carpark on the community centre side of the pool.
Timeframe and cost
Keith Spry Pool was closed from 9pm, Thursday 17 April 2014. The construction cost of the new pools, changing rooms and roof is expected to be around $6 million.
Replacement swim programmes and activities
While the pool is closed, we will move some of the regular swim programmes and activities:
- Learn to Swim, Aqua Fit classes, Ezy Movers and Shallow Water will move to Tawa Pool
- Deep water classes will be available at Karori Pool
- Aqua jogging will be available at Karori Pool, Freyberg Pool and Wellington Regional Aquatic Centre
- Lane swimming will be available at all other Council pools
Keeping up to date
Initial briefing sessions have been held with pool users, neighbours and the community before work began on the site.
If you’d like to be kept informed, you can receive our regular email updates by emailing Keith Spry Pool Facility Manager Matt Kilgour: firstname.lastname@example.org