Island Bay as a medium-density housing area
Areas around Island Bay town centre have the important features that support successful medium-density development.
Island Bay has:
- a town centre with shopping, services and local employment
- good access to public transport networks
- room for new residential buildings
- good access to community facilities, schools and open spaces
- commercially-viable options for developers to produce targeted residential development at an affordable price for potential owners.
Areas within 5 and 10 minutes walk from Island Bay town centre
Where could this happen in Island Bay?
Medium-density housing is generally encouraged within 5 to 10 minutes’ walk from town centres, as in Johnsonville and Kilbirnie. This gives residents good access to shopping, services and public transport routes.
What this could look like in Island Bay?
See examples of what medium-density housing could look like in Island Bay: Examples of medium-density housing
These high-quality houses have low-maintenance sections and are no more than three storeys high. The range of sizes and types of houses give people choices that suit their needs.
Future population and housing trends