Cenotaph Precinct Improvements
The Cenotaph Precinct in central Wellington will be improved as part of a project to redesign the area.
Illustration by Wraight & Associates Ltd.
The precinct includes the immediate area around the Cenotaph, at the corner of Lambton Quay and Bowen Street, and the adjacent paved area below Parliament Grounds.
The improvements will greatly enhance the national, historical and architectural heritage of the precinct and provide a better space for Anzac Day dawn services and other events.
This will include:
- making changes to the landscaped areas around the Cenotaph
- laying new paving on and around the Cenotaph
- installing new seating and lighting
- installing an artwork
- building new steps from the Cenotaph Precinct up through Parliament Grounds to provide a more direct pedestrian route to the Beehive forecourt
- removing the public toilets
- removing some trees to improve sightlines between the Cenotaph and Parliament.
While we carry out this work, there will be some disruption to the area and how you use it. We will aim to keep pedestrian and vehicle access open during construction but some parts of the area will be off limits at various times.
Work is due to start in August and be completed in early 2015.