Westpac stadium is a regional venue
The new agency, to be known as Wellington Regional Economic Development Agency (WREDA), would combine the economic development, tourism, venues and major event activities carried out by both councils.
Starting today (8 July), the two councils are seeking your views on this proposal.
The Wellington region has many economic advantages. These include:
- high-quality services and facilities
- world-class events and attractions
- an educated population
- respected universities and research organisations
- strength in areas such as creativity, high tech manufacturing and software / IT.
WREDA provides an opportunity for the region to raise economic performance and reach its potential through a coordinated approach.
Stronger economic growth will help to expand the rating base, reduce pressure on ratepayers and create opportunity for investment in community facilities and services.
- more jobs and opportunities
- more resources to invest in new or improved services
- stronger communities – greater economic security
- a more vibrant region.
To have your say, make a submission:
Submissions close at 5pm, Wednesday 6 August.
A decision is likely to be made in August/September 2014.