The Youth Council's main roles are:
- to provide a youth perspective on issues
- to promote and encourage youth involvement in planning and development of Council services
- to ensure the views of young people are canvassed and conveyed to the Council
- to provide advice on planning and infrastructure, particularly relating to any direct impact on young people
- to provide input relating to policy and strategic development.
The Terms of Reference describes what the Youth Council does.
The Youth Council is open to young Wellingtonians:
- aged 12 to 24 years
- resident within the Wellington City Council boundaries.