Pay by Space
We’ve introduced about 3500 parking sensors in the metered parking spaces in the central city.
We’ve installed a new Pay by Space parking sensor system. We’ve also installed a new keypad on the parking meters to make it easier to enter the space number.
We’ve attached parking space numbers and installed sensors in the ground for each parking space.
How to use
- Find a park. Your parking session starts as soon as your car stops in the space and activates the in-ground sensor.
- Enter your parking space number in the parking meter.
- Choose your time and payment method.
- Pay and walk away - there's no need to display your receipt.
Using your parking receipt elsewhere in the city
If you use PayMyPark or Phone2park, you will only pay for the time you use. However, if you have time remaining after paying at a parking meter and printing a receipt, you can park in another zone of equal or lesser value until your time has run out. Make sure you display the receipt when you move to a new park.
How to pay
You can use all the current parking payment methods.
Pay by Space benefits
This technology has many benefits for the community and businesses:
- You can ‘pay and walk away’ – you won’t need to return to your vehicle to display a receipt.
- More payment options.
- It increases carpark turnover, which benefits local businesses.
- Development of tools to display real-time parking information to avoid congested parking areas.
- It will give us insights on parking use in each area, which will help us plan public transport improvements.
- It will reduce the impact of parking receipts being washed up in our waterways.
The parking permit process hasn’t changed. You still need to display a valid permit on your vehicle and parking officers will still need to check that there is a valid permit showing before issuing an infringement.