Subdivide my property

Below are Council consents, services and fees that you may need to know about as part of your subdivision project:

Subdivision consent

You will need resource consent for your subdivision project.

Most subdivisions are generally possible if the new lots can accommodate buildings that:

  • can be serviced
  • have no stability, flooding or other hazard problems
  • are accessible
  • comply with the District Plan.

For more information on whether you can subdivide your property:

  • refer to Subdividing Property
  • engage a professional to help you - this could be a surveyor or planning consultant
  • talk to a Council planning technician - phone (04) 801 3590 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Fees Resource Consents - Fees
Time frame

We will process a straightforward consent within 20 working days.

This time frame may be affected if:

  • the project is complex
  • other parties are affected by the proposal
  • the application does not include the right information.
More information District Plan

Development contributions

When new development occurs in a city, it has an impact on the existing infrastructure. Development contributions make sure existing ratepayers are not burdened with the costs of the increasing infrastructure that results from new development.

You will need to pay development contributions if your project involves the creation of:

  • a new household unit (eg house, granny flat, self-contained unit, subdivided section)
  • new non-residential space.

An assessment will be made when the following are granted:

  • resource consent (fee simple subdivision only)
  • building consent
  • service connection.

Development Contributions Policy

Alternatively, phone the Development Contributions Assessment Officer on (04) 801 3282. (This is a part-time role so you may need to leave a message.)

Time frames Your development contribution will be assessed at the same time as your resource consent or building consent.
More information Development Contributions

Vehicle access approval

Perhaps you want to do work on new or existing kerb crossings or driveways on road land? If so, you will need vehicle access approval.

When applying for this approval, you will need to provide a range of information including gradients, camber, widths and surfacing.

Vehicle Access Application Form (80KB PDF)

For more information or help with the application:

  • talk to one of our vehicle access engineers - phone (04) 499 4444 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • engage a professional to help you - this can be a draughtsman, architect or engineer.
Fees Building Consent Fees booklet (295KB PDF)
Time frame

If your application is submitted as part of a building consent, we will assess vehicle access at the same time.

If your application is made separately, we aim to process it within 20 working days.

More information Building Consents