Below are Council consents, services and fees that you may need to know about as part of your project to open a restaurant:
If your project does not comply with the rules of the District Plan, you will need to apply for resource consent.
To find out if your project complies:
- engage a professional to help you - this could be a planning consultant, architect or draughtsman
- talk to a Council planning technician - phone (04) 801 3590 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
||Resource Consents - Fees
We will process a straightforward consent within 20 working days.
This time frame may be affected if:
- the project is complex
- other parties are affected by the proposal
- the application does not include the right information.
Apply for a consent
To apply for a consent to install a solid fuel heater or fireplace, use the form below:
Minor Works Consent Application Form (114KB PDF) | Text version (311KB DOC)
||Building Consent Fees (981KB PDF)
We process building consents within 20 working days.
This time frame may be affected if the application:
- is incomplete
- does not include all the right information.
||Building Consent - Apply
If you are handling food for sale, you will need to apply for a health licence.
To find out more information about health licensing:
- speak to a Council environmental health officer - phone (04) 499 4444 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- employ a professional to help you - this could be an NZQA-approved trainer of food safety or a commercial kitchen architect.
You will need a liquor licence if you will be selling or supplying alcohol.
In addition, a certificated manager must be on the premises at all times when alcohol is being sold and supplied to the public.
To find out how to get a liquor licence:
If your business is producing more liquid waste than that of a large household, you may need a trade waste consent.
The Council grants consents on a case-by-case basis. Call the Council to discuss your situation with the Trade Waste Officer.
If it sounds like your business may need a consent, the Officer will assess your situation by looking at site plans, and the type and volume of liquid waste. Chemical analysis may also be involved. The Council officer's evaluation will show whether or not you need a consent.
To find out more information about consent for trade waste:
- speak to our Trade Waste Officer - phone (04) 801 3760 between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
- employ a plumber to help you.
||Trade Waste - Fees
||The decision as to whether consent is needed can take 20 working days. However, assessment and evaluation of the conditions to be set up for consent can take a number of months. Temporary consents may be granted in such cases.
Perhaps you want to use a footpath to provide outdoor seating for customers? If so, you need to apply for pavement permission from the Council.
To find out how to apply for pavement permission, speak to a member of our Liquor Licensing team - phone (04) 499 4444 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Receiving permission does not mean that you can serve alcohol in that area. You will need to apply for a liquor licence for the area separately.