Mayoral Relief Fund
One-off emergency relief is available to people in Wellington who are in need of help in the form of food, shelter and clothing.
The Mayoral Relief Fund is a partnership between Wellington City Council and the Wellington City Mission. The fund supports people who are experiencing an emergency.
- power or gas disconnected, with young children living at the property
- tenancy eviction - emergency accommodation required
- family or personal crisis
- unable to buy food as a result of an emergency
- homelessness as a result of an emergency
No cash advances or cash loans are provided to clients.
How to apply
Read the information on this page, then apply using the application form on the Wellington City Mission website.
Application Form (673KB PDF)
$20,000 is available annually through the Wellington City Mission. This is currently allocated across food-bank expenses and other emergency services.
- Applicants must be residents of the Wellington city rate paying area.
- All applicants will be assessed individually.
- Applicants must complete an application form and provide proof of need, such as an eviction letter, a letter confirming that power has been disconnected, letters of refusal for advances from Work and Income, or proof of unexpected expenditures.
Additional support following the 14 November earthquake
As a result of a donation, there is limited capacity through the Mayoral Relief Fund to provide support for people who are experiencing hardship as a direct result of the 14 November earthquake and associated aftershocks.
- Applicants must be residents of the Wellington city rate paying area and have been affected by the 15 November earthquake.
- Applicants must complete an application form and provide proof of need, proof of unexpected expenditure.
Wellington City Mission