Mayoral function to celebrate the 2012 funding recipients
The Council has partnered with Sport Wellington to deliver the Sports Talent Development Programme, which aims to increase the number of Wellington sportspeople achieving international sporting success.
The programme funds talent development projects aligned to national or regional sports organisation development pathways. It supports Sport New Zealand's (SNZ) approach to national talent development.
The funding is used for athlete and coach development in areas including strength and conditioning, mental skills, coaching workshops, personal development, and injury prevention and rehabilitation.
Apply for funds
Applications are open to local sporting organisations interested in receiving a share of the funding.
The recipient sportspeople must live in Wellington, and will typically be 16 - 18 years old. Coaches must be able to offer the required development.
Key criteria include:
- an ability to contribute either to SNZ's national high performance objectives or to programmes significant to the Wellington region
- the sport's ability (through national / regional sports organisations) to develop talented athletes and coaches
- the importance of the sport to Wellington city.
Next funding round
Applications for 2014 funding will open in October 2013.
Funding has been allocated to the following sports groups for 2013:
- Wellington Regional High Performance Squad (swimming)
- Wellington High Performance Aquatics (diving)
- Wellington Hockey Association
- Netball Wellington Region
- Wellington Rugby League
- Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club
Talent Development Programme 2012 Achievements (17KB PDF) | Text version (4KB RTF)
Community Coach Advisor