The card helps people access recreational services when price might otherwise be a barrier.
You can qualify for the card if you are a Wellington city resident and if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- a Community Services Card holder
- an invalid or sickness beneficiary
- a person living with a permanent disability
- a recent migrant with residents visa (within the last 6 months)
- on the green prescription (GRx) scheme
- a SuperGold Card holder
- a city housing tenant.
The Leisure Card will give you access to the following discounts at Wellington City Council facilities:
- up to 50% discount off admission to swimming pools and recreation centres (this discount also applies to your children's admission when you take them*)
- 20% discount off fitness centre memberships
- up to 20% discount off swimming pool and recreation centre programmes (eg preschool music and movement classes, learn to swim, springboard diving, water babies, variety sports*)
- up to 50% discount off admission to spas, saunas and steam rooms at swimming pools
- 50% discount off the library loan fee for audiovisual items including CDs, DVDs, CD-ROMs and videos (cannot be used with other promotional discounts).
- 50% discount off library book reservation fees.
Note: * Excludes Green Prescription members.
The Leisure Card will also give you access to a minimum 20% discount from selected:
- recreation and leisure services.
Applying for a Leisure Card
You can apply for a Leisure Card by completing the enrolment form and sending it in.
Leisure Card Enrolment Form (565KB PDF)
Enrolment forms are also available at libraries, pools, and recreation centres.
Proof of eligibility
Recent migrants - Provide a copy of your residents visa stamp from your passport. People with a student or work visa are not eligible.
People with a disability - Request a referral letter from your GP, practice nurse, occupational therapist or physiotherapist.
All eligibility proof can be posted or emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or verified by Council officers at swimming pools, recreation centres, libraries and service centres in Wellington city.
Using the Leisure Card
Show your Leisure Card at any of the organisations listed in this booklet to get your discount:
Leisure Card - Recreation Discounts in Wellington (718KB PDF)
For information on the discounts you can receive, contact the organisations directly.
You can use the Leisure Card as many times as you want. The card is valid for 1 year. After that, if your circumstances have not changed, you can reapply for an additional year.
Lost Leisure Card
If you've lost your Leisure Card, contact the Leisure Card coordinator (see below).
Expired Leisure Card
If your Leisure Card has expired and you are still eligible as a Community Services cardholder, you can re-apply by completing the form below.
Leisure Card Renewal Form (238KB PDF)
We still need proof you are eligible but we do not need a new photo. Send us:
- a copy of your Community Services card or a recent letter from Work and Income
- proof you still live in Wellington.
Leisure Card Coordinator