Waitangi Park

Waitangi Park is a six-hectare urban park in the centre of Wellington, covering 30 percent of the waterfront.

Waitangi Park

Waitangi Park

Location: Wellington waterfront

Brief description:  Waitangi Park is bounded by Oriental Parade, Cable Street and Herd Street.

The park has a large grassed area, a skateboard park and an innovative playground, but its most distinctive feature is the re-created wetland – the vegetation and gravels are designed to filter and cleanse the Waitangi Stream, which for years ran in an underground storm-water culvert.


Accessibility:  The park is flat.

Dogs: Dogs are prohibited on the open grassed area, and must be on-leash elsewhere.

History: Waitangi Stream once fed a more extensive wetland used for centuries by Māori for food-gathering, as a source of fresh water, and as a place to launch waka.

European plans to turn the stream into a canal ended when the 1855 earthquake lifted the land by 1.5 metres.  After land reclamation, the stream became part of the underground storm-water system.

Over the last century the park has been a number of things including the site of a morgue, a bus park and a huge incinerator.