Location: Above Ngaio Gorge and the old Hutt Road, overlooking the harbour.
Entrance: Barnard Street, Wadestown.
Brief description: At Fort Buckley you can see the remains of two circular gun emplacements, which were built after growing fears of a Russian naval invasion.
Parking: Limited parking.
Accessibility: The entrance is clearly marked and a short, well-formed path leads down to the gun emplacements.
Dogs: Dogs must be kept on a leash.
History: The fort was the first of the harbour defences to be completed.
After the guns were moved to a different site in 1893, the fort was used as a training centre.
Fort Buckley was officially decommissioned in 1904, but an anti-aircraft battery was installed here during the Second World War.
The fort, which has a Category 1 rating from the NZ Historic Places Trust, is named after Sir Patrick Buckley, Colonial Secretary for the Stout-Vogel Government and founder of the Wellington Artillery volunteers in 1867.
This track was funded by the Friends of Fort Buckley, who also look after the ongoing planting, weeding and promotion of this site.
Friends group: Friends of Fort Buckley.