Glenside Reserve

Newlands/Paparangi Pony Club is based at the reserve and is its main user.

Location: Glenside

Entrance: Middleton Road, Glenside.

Brief description:  The pony club grazes up to 15 horses, using the flat field as an exercise area and dressage ring, and the several buildings for storage and clubrooms.

The historic Halfway House is also on the reserve.

A second area of reserve is located behind the bus stop on Middleton Road on the northern side of Westchester Drive East. A small walkway off Glenside Road also forms part of the reserve.

Parking: Limited parking on street.

Accessibility: Easy walk to Halfway House.

Dogs: Dogs must be kept on a leash.

History:  Halfway House provided overnight accommodation to travellers on the western road out of Wellington.  Located roughly halfway between Wellington and Porirua, at the end of a day’s travel, it was one of the best known features on the Porirua Road.

This is the third building in the area. The first was built in 1841 on land bought from Frank Johnson (after whom Johnsonville is named). The second was built in 1849, and the existing building was built in 1880.

Friends group: Glenside Progressive Association