History

Truby King House.

Truby King house

Resize

The house - designed by architect William Gray Young and built in 1923 - has New Zealand Historic Places Trust and City Council heritage listings.

Sir Truby and Lady Isabella co-founded the Plunket Society in 1907. They later founded similar societies in England, Australia, South Africa, India and Canada. Sir Truby and Lady Isabella are buried in a mausoleum in the garden.

Sculptures & Memorials

The Plunket Society took over the property and next door baby products factory and Karitane Hospital in 1932. The house was used as a dormitory for senior nurses and at other times as Plunket Society offices.

Wellington City Council bought the house and garden in 1990. The products factory and hospital are privately owned.