Camping in Wellington
If you're looking to do some camping in Wellington, check out the sites we recommend in and around the city.
Find a good spot to camp in Wellington
Overnight parking in Wellington
Campervans can park overnight in Wellington City for a fee at:
- Barnett Street Carpark, on the corner of Barnett Street and Cable Street (Note: Avoid overnight parking here on Saturdays due to restrictions.)
- North Kumutoto Carpark, next to Bluebridge Ferry on Waterloo Quay.
Electricity and toilet facilities are not provided at either of the above carparks.
Full-service campervan parks in Wellington
If you require a serviced motorhome carpark in Wellington, visit:
Freedom camping in Wellington for campervans
Restricted camping on public land is allowed in Wellington City for self-contained campervans at the following two sites:
- Southern end of the Marina car park at Evans Bay (271KB PDF)
- Te Kopahou Reserve entrance car park at Te Kopahou Reserve (274KB PDF)
Fishing, gathering and harvesting is prohibited at Te Kopahou Reserve.
Watch for extreme weather. This area often has high winds so make sure you secure your rubbish and belongings so they don't get blown around.
Freedom camping restrictions
- You can camp at either of these sites for a maximum of four nights in any single calendar month.
If you stay longer, you can be fined.
- Make sure you only park within the areas designated for campervans.
- These sites are not suitable for tents.
- Be respectful of the environment, other visitors to the area and reserve users.
Public dump stations
Wellington's three purpose-built stations for responsible disposal of waste and sewage are located at Evans Bay Marina, Ngaraunga Gorge and Tawa Swimming Pool.
Map of public dump stations in Wellington
Areas where camping is prohibited in Wellington
Camping is not permitted in Wellington's reserves, including the Town Belt.
Along the coast, this includes:
- Balaena Bay
- Dorrie Leslie Park
- Moa Point
- Princess Bay
- Tarakena Bay
- Wahine Park
Maps - Prohibited Areas for Camping in Wellington
See these maps of other areas in Wellington city centre where camping is prohibited.
Freedom camping offences may be subject to an infringement notice (Section 27(6), Freedom Camping Act 2011) and fee of $200.
What to do if you receive a fine
If you receive an infringement notice from an Enforcement Officer, you can pay the fee online using your credit card (use the Camping payment type) or at the Wellington City Council Service Centre, 101 Wakefield Street, Wellington.
Camping for tents and campervans outside Wellington City
The following sites are between 20km and 50km from Wellington City and include options for those camping in tents as well as for campervans:
Free overnight campervan parking in Porirua
You can park your campervan overnight for free at four sites in Porirua, about 20km outside Wellington:
Overnight campervan parking - Porirua City Council