For electoral purposes, Wellington city is divided into wards. Each ward elects a number of Councillors, who represent the interests of the city as a whole.
The city is divided into five wards that elect a total of 14 Councillors (excluding the Mayor, who is elected by all the city's voters).
The wards and number of elected Councillors for each are:
- Northern Ward - three Councillors
- Onslow-Western Ward - three Councillors
- Lambton Ward - three Councillors
- Eastern Ward - three Councillors
- Southern Ward - two Councillors
The number of Councillors for each ward is determined by the estimated resident population of each ward and the total population of the city as a whole. Legislation requires that the population each Councillor represents is within the range of (plus or minus) 10% of the average population-per-member across the whole city.