To vote in a local authority election, you need to be enrolled on either the residential or ratepayer electoral roll.

Find out more about how to enrol or change your address details.

Residential roll


You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and
  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and
  • have lived at your current address for more than 1 month.

How to enrol

If you have already registered to be on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.

Change your address

To change your address details on the residential roll you can:

  • complete the appropriate form at any PostShop
  • phone 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 367 656)
  • go to the Elections New Zealand website.

Enrol or Check Your Enrolment Details - Elections NZ

Ratepayer roll


You are eligible to enrol on the ratepayer roll if you:

  • are a registered parliamentary elector, and
  • are a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll

or, if you:

  • are resident outside of Wellington city and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in Wellington city.

If you are enrolled on the parliamentary roll in one local authority area and pay rates on a property in another, you may be eligible to apply for enrolment on the ratepayer roll (for the local authority area in which you pay rates but don't reside).

Companies, organisations or societies paying rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (provided that both the person nominating and the nominee live outside the local authority area).

If you are unsure whether you qualify, contact Election Services on 0508 12 10 13 (toll free) before 30 August 2013 or contact the Council's Electoral Officer.

Flowchart Showing Ratepayer Enrolment Entitlements (25KB PDF)

Ratepayer Elector Flyer (347KB PDF)

How to enrol

You can enrol on the ratepayer roll by completing and returning this form:

Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors (86KB PDF)

Alternatively, the form is available:

  • at Council offices and libraries
  • from the Council Electoral Officer.

Change your address

To change your details on the ratepayer roll, contact:

Electoral Officer, Wellington City Council

Phone (04) 801 3484
Fax (04) 801 3020
Email election@wcc.govt.nz
Postal Address PO Box 2199, Wellington
Street Address 101 Wakefield Street, Wellington