City outages and closures

Below are details of the current outages, closures and changes to services due to recent earthquake events and storm. If you'd like to see a map view: Earthquake Recovery Map

Council services and facilities

  • The Civic Administration Building (CAB) will remain closed until further notice. The Council Service Centre has moved to the ground floor of the adjoining Municipal Office Building (MOB) at 101 Wakefield Street. 
  • You can pay online for your rates and other Council services. 
  • Wellington i-SITE Visitor Information Centre has temporarily moved to the Michael Fowler Centre, 111 Wakefield Street.

Highways and roads

Highways – check NZTA for further information.

Roads – closures – check Transport for Wellington for further information.

Roads – cordons – check Transport for Wellington for further information.

  • Aitken Street – a pedestrian-only cordon is in place to the north of the NZ Defence Building, 2-12 Aitken Street (corner Aitken/Mulgrave Street) following further inspections on 22/11/2016. Mulgrave Street Cordon Map (388KB PDF)
  • Tory Street – The cordon on Tory Street has been removed except a small area of the pathway which is having work done to it. 
  • Wakefield Street and Michael Fowler Centre laneway (Town Hall) – We are doing some exploratory work on the Town Hall over the next month as part of our earthquake strengthening planning. As a result we will be temporarily closing the Michael Fowler Centre Laneway from 9-14 March. Borehole drilling might be a bit noisy at times too.
  • Wakefield Street (Civic Administration Building) – Pedestrian access to pathways and street parking may be affected on Wakefield Street as work starts to install temporary props that will allow controlled access to the Civic Administration Building (CAB). This work is likely to take 4-5 weeks to complete. 

Warrants for insurance claims

If you have been affected by the cordon and evacuation of buildings in the Tory Street/Courtenay Place area or the Molesworth Street area, you can download copies of the Warrants signed under section 129 of the 2004 Building Act. These specify the two dangerous and earthquake-prone buildings in these areas. Attached to the Warrants are cordon maps that were correct at the time the Warrants were issued. You will need these documents for your insurance company.


Council-owned car parks

  • Clifton car park (entrance off The Terrace) – open but a small section remains closed for repairs, including the motorbike parks area. If you have a motorcycle, please use a motorcycle bay on the street or in another parking building.
  • Kumutoto North car park – closed

For all other car parks, check with their providers


You need to check with the landlord, owner or your employer to make sure it is safe to enter any building.

Concerns about a building post-earthquake

Tenancy Services advice for tenants and landlords: Repairs after a natural disasterDamage in a natural disaster

Following the earthquake and aftershocks, building owners should contact a structural engineer to assess their property.

IPENZ provide resources to help find an engineer: what to do if you have concerns about a building post-earthquake – IPENZ